Agencies for Utility and Shutoff Assistance

DTE Low Income Self Sufficiency Plan (LSP) UPDATE:

On October 1, 2018 how you apply to LSP completely changed.  LSP is DTE’s cost savings plan.  Residents on LSP pay much less for the energy they use.

If you were already enrolled in LSP, you should have remained enrolled/automatically transferred to the new system.

THAW, The United Way, and St. Vincent De Paul will be enrolling Detroit residents in LSP in 2018-2019.

As of October 26, 2018, agencies have not begun enrolling for LSP.

The biggest change is that residents who want to get on LSP now have to go through MDHHS State Emergency Relief (SER), and the MI Bridges Portal.

You can mail this paper application to your local DHS office.  This may make the process slower.  It is recommended to do the app online.  It works well on your phone’s web browser. Ask a relative or friend for help to access the website.  Many agencies (see above) offer computers and assistance with the online app process.  

Here is a flyer.

Important Note:  If you are enrolled in LSP, and your income increases, make sure you confirm you are still income qualified BEFORE you reapply for LSP.  You may become responsible for the money you saved through LSP if you attempt to re-enroll as someone who is over-income.

You can apply in person:

THAW: 535 Griswald #200, Detroit 48226 (The Buhl Building)

8:30 AM-5:00 PM, M-F, 1-800-866-8429


The United Way: Franklin Wright Settlements, 7375 Woodward #1570, Detroit 48202

10:00 AM-4:00 PM, M-TH, 1-844-211-4994


Apply for LSP Now:

Access MI Bridges HERE.

Click on Start Application.


Check State Emergency Relief (SER).


Check State Emergency Relief (SER).


Check Heat and Electricity.


Check Natural Gas (unless you have electric baseboards).


Put amount needed.   You need to do this to get on LSP.


Check the best answer.


Check the best answer.


Enter your account information.


Say you want LSP.


Under “Send Referrals”, you should see “Energy Self Sufficiency”.  This is LSP.  Click “Send”.


Choose an LSP intake center.  Detroiters can choose THAW, The United Way, or St. Vincent De Paul.

The agency will then enroll you in LSP.  You do not need to do another application.


You can track your case status under Menu –> Case History.

If you are facing shutoff, get on the Shutoff Protection Plan (SPP).